Thursday, February 18, 2010

Twenty Something Year Old Punks

Yesterday I attended my first regional meeting as a manager. I learned so much on how to improve our club. Our owner and I could not stop writing down ideas and brainstorming on the trip home.

After only five months in business, we reached 350+ members. We are thrilled, but of course think we can do better. However, while at the meeting I realized (my boss already knew this) the average number of members in our 20+ clubs in our state is near 140. I became conscious of how many things we are doing right. Women who owned these gyms for 10+ years struggled to reach 60 some members. Our regional director wanted us to share some of our ideas.

After sharing, some of them looked at us like we were crazy.

"Give it time, you're still young" or "Just wait" or "When I first started I had as much passion"

It drove me crazy. Ok, granted we are both twenty something years old and know this might fade, but we kind of laughed about their comments in the car. If we get old or tired....Then we will hire someone who is as young and energetic as we once were.

I am not trying not to be arrogant, but we work our butts off, case and point, I just sat down for the first time today after being on my feet for 14 hours, where even my $100 tennis shoes feel like $15 high heels. I just want our club to be successful.

Afterwards, my boss and I talked to our Regional Director, she could not be more thrilled about our progress. My boss even made the comment to her and another owner..."Not bad for some twenty-something year old punks".

I couldn't agree more. We do not know everything, but we do know that we absolutely love our women and love our job. And there are talks of opening up another club. I love that not only did I find something I love, I found something I could make a career/living out of now.

5 comments:

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That's awesome! Most people go through life hating their jobs so when you find something you love and make money doing it, that's just GREAT!

Cole said...

Wow, that's awesome!! Very impressive. :-)

Kate said...

Don't listen to those other colleagues - it sounds like you are happy and have found success in something you love. That's all that matters!

Sunday I have a scheduled post, stop by to pick up your award!

tootie said...

It sounds like you have really found the perfect job for you! So glad it's going well!

KLutz said...

I'm glad that you're so happy with your job. It really sounds like the perfect fit for you. And that's awesome that you're doing so well!!