Sunday, February 28, 2010

Our Own Olympic Sport

Its the last Sunday of the month. In our house it means grocery shopping for the entire month.
His first month home, I wanted to pull my hair out trying to shop and think of meals for the both of us on the fly. My only News Years Resoluation...Meal Plan. I am proud to say, I have successfully meal planned for three months so far.

I simply print off a calendar and write in pencil (of course) meals for every single night, except Saturday. I stick the calendar in a sheet protector and hang it up on our refridgerator.

Sometimes coming up with meals every single night gives me a headache. I work late on Mondays and Wednesdays so I have to plan accordingly, either a crockpot or simple 10 minute meal to make when I walk in the door. But grocery shopping has been a lot less painful. The only thing I hate now is finding things on my grocery list.

My wonderful mother-in-law purchased a $25 i-phone application gift card. I'm not that tech savy and wondered what I would ever purchase. Last night, while creating my grocery list, I found this amazing application: The Grocery Gadget.


I can sort by category, alphabetical order, and items already in the cart. This morning with i-phone and these in hand:

...my hubby and I breezed through grocery shopping at two stores in less than 75 minutes. I felt like professional shoppers. The gadget also includes pricing so as our total appeared on the screens, I clapped and laughed to him. Less than $150 at Wal-Mart and another $80 at Sam's Club. In the next month, I bugeted another $6o to pick up any miscellaneous items we may need which keeps us under $300 for an entire month.

I, no joke, high-fived my husband on our way home. I feel like grocery shopping is our Olympic sport and today, we won gold, haha....thanks to the i-phone of course :)

After shopping, six loads of laundry, dishes, and vacuuming, we can both relax and cheer on the US Men's Hockey team.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! You should check out www.e-mealz.com. It's a no brainer meal planner worth every penny!!! Check it out, you won't be sorry!

Stephanie said...

that sounds heavenly. i must find this app and use it. i suck at meal planning and shopping... always forget something.

Cole said...

What a great app! I'm really envious of your need to only grocery shop only once a month.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That's awesome! I'm gonna have to look for that application.

Megan said...

Do you seriously grocery shop and meal plan for an entire month out? B/c that is way overwhelming for me! I can only do two weeks at a time without being lost for dinner ideas!

Megan said...

Do you seriously grocery shop and meal plan for an entire month out? B/c that is way overwhelming for me! I can only do two weeks at a time without being lost for dinner ideas!

Stacie said...

Congrats on rocking out at the grocery store! I can only manage to do a week-by-week meal plan but I love getting everything for the week in that one-stop shopping trip :-)

Lauren @ Dreams Take Flight said...

Finding great iPhone apps is probably one of the things that makes me the happiest. A little thing, yes...but that little phone is brilliant!

Hi, I'm a new follower. :)

GamecockQueen said...

OMGosh, girl, I am in total awe of this kind of organization!! WOW!

Sara said...

Would you believe that author was actually a marathon runner between each pregnancy? She is a workout aholoic. She miscarried once and she always blamed it on weight lifting and not toning it down. I should write about all the idiot reasons she says women shouldn't workout while pregnant. That's also why I don't write about my workouts. I have a feeling that would open a can of worms about the selfishness of weightlifting while pregnant or something like that.