Thursday, August 27, 2009

Thrive or just survive?

One of my good friends informed me that August 5th (my last update) was a long time ago. Because of the gap in entries, I could blog about any number of things. San Diego, engagement pictures, , my new beautiful diamond ring, his wonderful friends visiting from all over, my new survive and thrive goals or the aftermath of him getting back on that plane to head back to the sandbox.

While I will eventually blog about my wonderful two weeks, the aftermath is too fresh in the mind.

He left a week ago. On Sunday I decided to cut the grass. I took the mower out of the shed and realized I needed to pick up dog poop. When I turned on the lawn mower, it started and like most of us, I began to push forward. When I looked down 1.9 seconds later, I saw four baby bunnies desperately trying to run for their lives.

For everyones sake who is reading, I am not going to describe the scene. I do not know how I cleaned it all up.

Two hours later, I finished cutting the grass, cleaning the pool, gardening and pulling weeds. Daisy began sniffing like crazy. She darted to the corner of the yard. I knew what she saw...baby bunny #5. I began screaming and so did the baby bunny. Daisy swallowed her whole.

The next day she found bunny #6. Same story.

On the third day, after an exhausting day of subbing I walked in the door to let Daisy out of her cage. Bunny vomit everywhere. I immediately took her and the cage outside and started hosing everything off.

I noticed my garden needed some water. Instead of pulling the hose all the way to the back of the yard, I stood at a distance. Dakota loves drinking water from the hose. She began jumping around like a grasshopper. I tried to yell at her to stop, but Dak Dak loves running and jumping. On one of her jumps, in about 5 seconds I saw her land just on her back right leg funny and let out the worse noise I have ever heard in my life. A noise I hope I never have to hear again.

I did not even hesitate. I picked up my 60lb dog, placed her in the Envoy and grabbed my purse. The vet told me she broke her leg in two places. I did ok emotionally and then they told me I needed to leave her overnight. I started crying and could not stop crying all night.

Little did I know, the hard part would be afterwards I picked her up today. The vet informed me in the next 8 weeks, there should be little movement and exercise. I have to carry her up and down our deck stairs. The splint is located near her "goods" so everytime she pees I need to pull the splint away so she doesn't urniate all over the splint. She's still in pain and whines quite a bit.

And right now? I still have my head up, but would consider myself as emotionally exhausted.

I updated my survive and thrive goal list and it made me think about taking the word "survive" out completely. I feel I "survived" so much in the past 9 months

lost two jobs, house struck by lightning, replace and fix AC not once but twice, replace garage door, replace 2 cell phones, fix board for front circuit breaker, pool breaks down twice, re-install both internet and cable, lawnmower breaks, almost needed to put Daisy to sleep, both dogs sick with kennel cough, cleaned up 15 dead animals in our backyard (birds and bunnies), his dying grandfather, and now my baby breaking her leg

If I can still laugh about all of the above...shouldn't this techincally be considered as "thriving" during the deployment? I guess I didn't need to make any outrageous goals. I think getting by for an entire year on your own is good enough for me.

We're almost there....

16 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness! What a difficult day! I hope Dakota heals quickly!

jlc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jlc said...

Oh wow!! It HAS been a lot. Seriously getting through a deployment will always be my #1 greatest accomplishment.

It trumps getting married, getting into grad school, going for a marathon, or whatever --- sending your loved one to war and seeing his safe return is the most significant event i can think of ....before having a baby of course (!) :)


You can and will get through this. You've already been through so SO much.


PS I NEEEEEEED a blogpost dedicated to that wonderful ring now!!

Anonymous said...

Oh no Courtney :-( Bless your heart!

I'll admit, i had to skip over the baby bunny part of this post :-(

I hope things start to look up for you (and Dakota!) Have a margarita!!

J.L.S. said...

Oh my goodness, that broke my heart just reading it. You surviving that is definitely thriving! I agree 100% with what jlc said. Surviving this deployment is my biggest accomplishment in life. I have a hard time seeing myself trumping that in a lifetime.

Anonymous said...

wow lady! I can't even think of anything to say but wow.

Cole said...

Oh my! You really have been through a lot and you always seem to be so upbeat about it.

I hope that Dakota heals quickly and that Murphy leaves you alone from now on.

And I agree with JLC... you need to show us that ring!

Erin said...

I think Murphy needs to leave you the heck alone for the next 3 months!

tootie said...

That is just crazy all that you've been through. The fact that you haven't gone crazy from all of it means you must be a pretty tough cookie! I hope the rest of the deployment is smooth sailing for you both!

Megan said...

Well, I think you win most bad crap happening during a deployment award, that is pretty horrible.

I hope both of the puppies are doing fine, particularly Dakota,I can't imagine how scary that was for you.

Wish I could be there to bring you some wine. You've only got a bit more left, hopefully it will be smooth sailing from this point out.

Megan said...

Oh and forget JLC, you need a blogpost about how sad Clarksville Athletic and bookclub are without me. Or in particular, without C going to pilates with us.

lola said...

Hun, I don't know how you've done it. Getting through all of this just goes to show how incredibly strong you are and you should be so proud of yourself. Keep your head up -- you can and will get through the rest of this!

Much, much love to Dakota.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Wow! That's a LOT going on! You're on the down slope of the deployment now!!! That's good!!!

Stacie said...

I hope the last leg of deployment goes quickly for you but I know you'll make it! Hope you're holding up okay too!

Post Tenebras Lux said...

Yep, I'd say you've survived and thrived incredibly with just what life has thrown at you. No self-imposed goals needed! I'm sorry it's been so rough. Hang in there. . . .

Graysoning said...

wow. that just made my day seem a lot better. i never would have been able to clean up that mess. also my brother's dog does the same with the hose!!! i had to text him with that story!