Saturday, November 7, 2009

End of an Era

As I am approaching the end of my first deployment, I am starting to realize a lot of things change as you reach the end. My first change...Super Jeni is leaving in less than a week.

Its bittersweet because I actually found myself wanted time to slow down (yes I know?!) time.

This Friday marked 47 weeks down. At week 2, after the holidays, I emailed a few girls whose husbands all left on the same night and said, let's start a weekly pot luck.

45 weeks later, with an exception of maybe 4 or 5 times, we met every week for dinner. It turned out to be exactly what I wanted it to be. Every week, no matter how we felt or how sad or overwhelmed deployment made us on that day, we met. It kind of turned into my deployment family.

Tonight was our last dinner together. Yes, I may actually be getting teary-eyed typing this.


14 comments:

jlc said...

You girls are adorable!!! Love the pics!! And I'm sorry it's bittersweet. :-\ Just remember how lucky you are to have these fabulous girls at your side!!

hmb said...

That is SO freaking sweet! I wish I had a support group like that in Josh's co. Old friends it is!!!

tootie said...

I'm glad you had a great group of girlfriends to get you through!

lola said...

that's such a sweet idea. :) I'm so glad it's almost all over for you guys though !

Cole said...

I'm glad that you had such a great group of women by your side during this deployment. That is a great picture!

Herding Chaos said...

Such a great idea! Maybe I'll do something like that next time.

I have found that there were all these things I wanted to get done before the end of deployment and now that it's getting closer, I almost want two more months just to get those things done! But I also really want him home... like tomorrow!

Kate said...

Yay! Almost there! :)

Me said...

That's great that you had those girls! I also found that through a deployment I really made great bonds with my friends and missed it when I didn't have as much time to devote to them.

CLR said...

Ok you just made me really sad. But we ended on a great note, didn't we ? :)

Anonymous said...

think of it this way: when one door closes another one opens :) thats great that you're SO CLOSE!

Post Tenebras Lux said...

Oh, hard. I'm so sorry! I'm glad you guys had that time together, though--and the picture is adorable =).

Lisa said...

That's awesome! I wish I knew some of the wives in P's unit so I could do the same thing.

So exciting that you're so close to the end!

loqi said...

A weekly potluck sounds awesome -- I can see why you would be sad to see it end. Good for you ladies to get together and support each other!

Emily B said...

A weekly potluck is such a wonderful idea! I did a month down dinner every month, but it would be better to do it more often and SHARE the cooking!!

P.S. Just started following...glad you are almost done with deployment!!