Sunday, September 12, 2010

Why blog...

I think the word "busy" would just be an excuse.

During our three week honeymoon, we stopped to visit his grandparents in small town USA. His grandparents are notorious for sitting on their front porch and making small talk.

I have sat on that front porch numerous times over the years and never in all my visits did I hear so many stories. Stories of his grandfather in the war, how they met, their favorite memories of each kid, including my father-in-law. We talked out there for almost nine hours in our short 24 hour visit.

You see, his grandfather is nearly 95 years old and the entire family has been trying to convince him to move into assisted living. Everytime we mentioned it, he prefaced another story with "I've lived a great life and have great memories. I wouldn't change a thing".

We shared some of the stories with his parents and sat in shock. Some of these stories they have not even heard.

During this same time, I was finishing a book by James Patterson, "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas". The book is about a mother keeping a diary for her newborn son.

I guess during this time, I realized the power of a story or a memory, whether good or bad. I also remembered why I started my blog nearly 7 years ago....

4 comments:

Cole said...

It sounds like you got regaled with some pretty awesome stories!

I hope your honeymoon was otherwise just as fabulous!

jlc said...

:)


Love your last paragraph.... def the SAME for me!! I stopped blogging during the summer and when I went to France.. sometimes life gets in the way ;) But it's GREAT to have the story to look back on!!

Spesh for you and Dave's grandbabies. :)

Love your new background too!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Congrats on the wedding and I'm glad you had a great honeymoon!!!!

d.a.r. said...

When my grandfather was dying, he began opening up to me and telling me all kinds of stories. He would call me out of the blue and tell me about his courtship with my grandma, his days in the Marines during WWII, how he held his best friend's hand while he died in Korea, the day I was born and he was the first person to hold me. It was really special and something I will treasure forever, for sure. I am so glad you got to spend some quality time like that!