My weekend was full of culture, family, and laughs. My best friend got married this weekend.
I met Janette in 4th grade. She was the new girl. Years later we talked about her struggles and being a curly hair Puerto Rican in an all white private school. Even at 9 years, I considered myself the social director, so my bubbly blond self was the first one to say hi.
The rest is history.
From basketball camps to 3am Monopoly games, to this day, I've never laughed as hard as I did with her. Her family became my family and vice versa. When my grandfather passed, my parents went to California for two weeks and I stayed with her family.
I argued with her dad about the remote control, fought with her older sister, and was chased down by her mother screaming at me in Spanish.
She moved to Florida before high school and we still managed to see each other twice a year. When I use to spend my Spring Breaks at their house, her dad would wake us up by singing to us in Spanish as loudly as possible until we started throwing pillows at him. Lately with our careers, we talk less and less, but Net and I hated the phone.
Her mother picked me up from the airport and took me to their house. While walking into their house, I noticed Net yelling at someone on the phone. I walked to the refrigerator, took out two things of string cheese, opened both of them and handed her one. She smiled and ate it immediately. All of this before she even said hi to me.
I tell people I think we might be twins separated at birth.
All weekend, I did everything for her. Many times I called her a crazy Bridezilla bitch and that if she gets married again, don't ask me to be a bridesmaid. She would laugh, give me a big obnoxious hug and tell me she loves me.
Its the best feeling in the world, being needed by your best friend and in return helping her out. There were eight bridesmaids, but she always yelled my name. Right before the father-daughter dance, I heard the groomsmen yelling that she was again calling for me. I had to busel her dress before she went out on the dance floor.
My entire weekend could be summed up in one picture and one sentence.
Janette wanted to go into the bathroom to have the hairdresser fix her hair, but didn't want her dress to drag on the floor. In my silver heels and pink dress, I squatted behind her holding her dress up.
Her sister snapped a picture.
And before we left for the wedding, we needed to pack the car. Janette went to grab a box and Lillie (her mom) said, "Don't take that one, let Courtney, it's too heavy" We all immediately started laughing.
After the reception, while she rested her feet on my lap and people came up to us to tell her good-bye, we started talking babies. I told her she was going to have beautiful babies and she in return informed me that I am already the Godmother for their first baby.
One of the best feelings...
I truly had a wonderful time at the wedding. The bridal party mixed so well together and shared a lot of laughs.
Today I could not wait to get back to my bubble.
Of course during the wedding, you see so many couples happy and in love. Followed by the "How are you". And then "Aw, deployment?" and a "When did he leave/when does he return?" and a "How are you handling it".
Every once in awhile I do not mind, but I love that I do not feel alone here, I have some amazing women her who keep me company. My good friend and I came to a realization we kind of live in a bubble where everyone understands.
And that is OK with me. I like my military bubble. I feel safe in it.
9 comments:
She sounds like an awesome friend!
And yes, I like the military bubble, too :)
Glad your back! When do I get to see you again!
AW! Glad you had a great weekend!
Yes, military bubbles are nice.
Those kind of friendships are the BEST!!! This is one reason I could never leave Jersey, I have friends where I don't have to tell them a thing - I'd just look at them and they'd "pull out my string cheese" in a different way.
If I didn't have them, I'd feel very lonely.
Good honest post. Yeah, weddings are not fun to handle without our men home. 100% agree. I had to go last June with my best friend as a date instead of the hubby. Needless to say I got VERY drunk that night. And I don't drink.
Glad you are back. Nothing beats security and a sense of relief that comes with being home. :)
I was holding out. I really hate these reviews. Like everyone does their "monthly" one, but it just seemed so frustrating to me.
Today I guess I was motivated to write it all out.... ugh. Just so crazy everything though.
Wished it was simpler. Thanks for your encouragement! You too are doing great!!
Oh my gosh your friendship with your puerto rican friend sounds amazing! So cute!!
I laughed about the part where her mother was chasing you and yelling in spanish haha! Feisty Latinas!
BTW, thanks for your sweet comment on my post =) I was hesitant about posting my story at first, so your thoughts really mean a lot! And, I had no idea about your Sports Broadcasting past!? I'll have to ask you more about it sometime!
She sounds like a wonderful friend! I know what you mean about having a friend like that. I was maid of honor in my best friend's wedding a couple weeks ago.
But, like you, I couldn't wait to get back home. Not because of the military bubble, although I'm starting to experience it. My non-military friends know about P, and the first question is always about whether or not he's going to deploy soon. But thankfully I also met a girl who's fiance just deployed, so we're going to try to spend some time together, and help each other through it.
The wedding sounds like it was fun, and I completely understand about the military bubble. You don't have to explain things to people -- they just get it :)
Your best friend sounds great :)
Glad you had such a good weekend and we all definitely do have our bubbles..
Post a Comment