My MIL looked at me today while finally relaxing on the couch and said, "This last week felt a month long". And I couldn't agree more. I can't remember what day is today or how long its been since he left or since Dakota broke her leg.
Sadly, a week ago, his grandfather lost a year long battle with cancer. Typically when an "in-law" passes, sure you're sad, but not usually emotionally invested. I spent the last 9 years getting to know and love his grandfather. He attended both my high school and college graduation. Not to mention I started calling him Grandpa 6 years ago. His intelligence and passion always moved me.
The funeral and visition/wake too place over the last two days and I am emotionally and physically exhausted. I stood in the place of my hubby, who could not come home, shaking hands, hugging family, and expressing gratitude for those who also came to pay their respects to a well-known man in the community.
The past few days only reinforced how much I love his family and how much they make me feel like I belong comforted me during these trying times over the past 9 months. This death also reinforces how much I need/want him home.
And now you think I would fall asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow, but its 1:40am and I cannot fall asleep. Reality hits tomorrow when I head home. Dakota managed to chew through her bandages this weekend and Daisy still needs to stay with my parents for a few more weeks.
I am going to be one happy girl when all of us are back together again.
8 comments:
I hope you're hanging in there okay, I'm hoping the rest of the deployment will go quickly. I'll be thinking of you!
I know people have told you this probably every month, but you are having the craziest deployment! As one of my old co-workers would say "Stop the Madness!"
But on a serious note, I'm sorry to hear of his Grandfather's passing. The death of a relative is always difficult, but having it happen during a deployment can be especially difficult.
I'm glad this year is almost over, because your husband needs to come home!
I can't wait until all of you are together again too.
I think the Army needs to give you a medal for all you've been through-- I'm sure your husband is so proud of you for being so strong while he's gone, and I"m sorry for your loss.
I'm so sorry hun!! It seems like you're going through what I just went through this weekend - a shitstorm of stuff. My thoughts are with you and Dave's families.
Boy, Murphy really has dealt you a lot...
I'm so sorry for your loss. Your hubby's grandfather sounds like a wonderful man.
It only gets better from here...right?
I'm sorry to hear about his passing. Hang in there.
Sorry things have been so rough! I hope that they get better for you!
I'm so sorry to hear of his grandfather's passing. I know what you mean about feeling close to his family. It makes it just as hard as if it was your own.
Hun, hang in there. You've been through so much and soon it will be done with. I'm really sorry to hear about his (and pretty much your) grandfather passing.
Post a Comment