Thursday, July 23, 2009

Here it is.

I am finally coming out. And breaking down things I avoid talking about in this blog. After all its my blog, I come here to write about my thoughts. Sometimes I feel I need to leave certain things out because I was not forward with this information earlier.

August 6, 2000- Our first date. Dinner (Applebees) & a Movie (Coyote Ugly)

December 8, 2008- He looks at me in AT&T after receiving a phone call that they moved his D-Day moved up by 4 days and asks "So do you want to get married". I smiled and said "Why not"

December 9, 2008- We head to the County Clerk, just the two of us and probably in the most romantic, tear filled 20 minutes, we were married.

August 7, 2010- Our Wedding Date, 10 years + 1 day after our first date

We always talked about getting married before he left and it seemed like the right idea. We've been together for so long, living together, and we wanted to get married eventually.

Afterwards, while talking with our families, we wondered "Why even keep this a secret?". There is the whole "I want my wedding day to be special" and now I am getting to the point where I think it will STILL be special. I immediately told all of my good friends here since I did not want the awkward run in at the commisary or anywhere else on post. I love my life here since I can openly and proudly say "my husband". Its funny, to most people, we are not even engaged.

I did not have the big romantic proposal or the ring or the big ceremony. But to be perfectly honest, I do not care one single bit about any of that. I have a marriage, a wonderful marriage to my best friend, my soulmate and my hero. Its all I ever really wanted.

Its a secret I do not want to keep anymore and I do not where to go from here.

And I hate living a lie, especially a lie you are so proud of. A lie that fills your heart with so much joy and comforts you day in an day out while he's deployed. I guess I figured if I can come out to the blog world, I might feel a little relief.

I think I can now blog about wedding planning and refer to him, as my husband, because it sounds so good to say and even better to type.

24 comments:

kd said...

Yay for you! It's the person and the marriage that count, not the proposal and the wedding. :)

Belated congrats--I bet you are so excited to see your hubby in just a few weeks!

tootie said...

Congrats! It sounds like you are so happy, and that's the main thing!

Lisa said...

That's wonderful! I think it's a great story, and I agree, you sound really happy!

Courtney said...

Yay! I love it! It's a totally great story, even if it's not a "typical" wedding or engagement. Congrats! I'm so excited to hear that about you guys!!! :)

Stacie said...

:-) Yay!! I figured something was up when I got our Christmas card and it just had his last name! I'm SO excited for you both, you deserve all the happiness in the world. And your wedding day will be FABULOUS, no matter what because it'll be your wedding!

Also, thanks for the comment on my post. I'd love to chat about wedding stuff with you if you'd give me house-decorating tips!

Stephanie said...

Congrats! You definitely have something special. The wedding/proposal don't matter, it's the love that you share.

loqi said...

I think it's sweet to keep your news to yourselves for a while, blogging can be a little too soul-baring sometimes. And as for doing it your own way, I say hell yeah, 'cause that's what we did too! Congratulations!!

BSS said...

I think this is a such a sweet story that you shouldn't have been ashamed of. :o)

Cole said...

I'm so happy for you! The ceremony sounds very sweet and romantic. :-)

Becca said...

awwww! sooo sweet! congratulations of having the marriage of your dreams! :)

Anonymous said...

Cute story! My hubby and I went to the JP to get married. We had 13 people come. Afterward, we had our "reception" at Joe's Crab Shack. Then we stayed one night at a nice hotel in town. That was perfect for us! We have no desire to have a "real" wedding, because that courthouse wedding was real to us!

Katie said...

Yay!! I love it! So many couples in this lifestyle do the quick little ceremony and plan the big one for afterward and we are considering our big one a renewal and will keep 4-5-08 as our Wedding Anniversary. It's funny going in looking at dresses and they ask and I'm like yeh my husband and explain.

Congrats!! Have a blast and I can't wait to hear all the planning details!

TJK said...

congratulations! it honestly sounds perfect. i've always thought it was the marriage that counts and the rest is just icing on the cake.

The pup did make it through his surgery okay...I think. He's a little loopy and hates his cone collar.

I will definitely watch NCIS LA. I love Chris O'Donnell and I'm willing to at least give it a chance. I love love love Mark Harmon though. He is my old man crush :)

Clarksville/Campbell holds a special place in my life. I'm glad that you're enjoying it there!

Erin said...

Beautiful post! I am so happy for you both!

Carissa said...

I noticed in a recent post that you said husband! Congratulations, even though it's about 7 months too late :)

Am I reading it correctly that your families don't know??

Jenn said...

I knew it :) I just knew. I don't know how, but I swear I knew. I think we're long lost twins or something.

Kate said...

Yay! I'm glad you finally got that off your chest. Your wedding will be incrediable either way. :)

Anonymous said...

;o)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Yay! That's so great that you guys got married!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you decided to tell! Its still going to be so special! And remember, you're not alone. Its sooo common in this military lifestyle. Can't wait to hear about all the planning! :-D yay!!

And a belated congrats to you two!

Megan said...

Now that you've announced it to the blog world, you can officially be married! Next step, facebook status!

Oh, and I miss all of you girls! I haven't been to the pool since I left!

J.L.S. said...

Yay!!!!!!! Like Kiki, I noticed the word husband recently. But, didn't want to be too nosey and ask about it! I'm so happy you opened up! And I'm soooo happy you are married to your best friend and soul mate! Welcome to the club of having the wedding after the wedding! :) Can't wait to hear about all of the plans!

d.a.r. said...

Good for you for telling people, and congrats!!! It's definitely much more normal in the military community :)

Anonymous said...

Belated congrats on your marriage!
My husband and I got married by his Chaplin right before his deployment. It was just us and 3 buddies of his for witnesses. It's fun to say we eloped and you should definitely be excited about telling people!
The 'big' wedding will be great. We are thinking of doing a vow renewal on our 5th anniversary or there abouts.