Wednesday, July 8, 2009

New addition

I brought home a very cute puppy yesterday and its been adding a little spice to my life since. Do not worry, I did not fall off the deep end and go out and get another puppy. I am puppy-sitting Barrett and Leslie's 8 week old lab mix, Zoe.

I told Leslie as much as I would love to snuggle and play with the adorable puppy, I planned on crate training her until Sunday. You see, my house has still not recovered from Hurricane Daisy and chasing after a 8 week old and going through the dreaded "puppy" phase did not appease to me.

I remember him walking in the door about a month after we got Daisy and saying, "Did you know you could potty train a dog in 3 days by simply keeping it in its crate". I rolled my eyes at him and said that information would have been useful about 4 weeks ago.

Zoe's schedule:

Crate: 3 hours
Bathroom break: 5 minutes
Eat/drink: 5 minutes
Play: 30 minutes

Repeat

I think she is actually catching on and I swear up and down I am going to do this with my next dog. She whines briefly for about 1-2 minutes when I put her in the crate. And the best part, I only woke up at 3:45am, let her use the bathroom and went back to bed.

I am trying to decide if she is a good dog or if I am the next Cesar Millan.

8 comments:

Cole said...

I'm a big advocate of crate training! I did it with Meadow and Beckett. Even though I don't keep them locked in there now... they still opt to crate themselves every morning when I go to work. :-)

lola said...

I vote that you're the next Cesar! :) yay for having a fun little puppy around!

Kate said...

Awww...so cute. Couldn't you have crate trained Belle for me? It was a pain in the butt, but I think we're almost potty trained.
How are your puppies getting along with Zoe?

Anonymous said...

we crate trained all 3 of our dogs and it has worked wonderfully!

Anonymous said...

Ooohh man! I love me some puppies!!

I can't bring myself to crate train a dog. Its going to be so horrible when i have a real human baby and i have to put it in its crib at night. I'm not going to be able to bring myself to "let go" haha!

Katie said...

We crate ours and its honestly the best thing for them. If they were left out who knows what they could get into and it's more in fear of them getting into something that will hurt them. We are borrowing a friends crate that is big enough that I put the 2 of them into the same one and they love it- they cuddle up and sleep. They ever go in on their own on the weekends when they want to nap! Most dogs see it as a safe place.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I'm gonna have to try to crate train our dog when we get it. Matt is dead set on getting a dog as soon as he returns.

I'm glad it's working!

tootie said...

Haha. I think you are the next Cesar. I love his show!