Wednesday, October 21, 2009

How Far We've Come

It really did not surprise me how much I was spoiled this weekend. I have wonderful friends and family and they really made my birthday special.

On Saturday, after a fun time with my family, I drove a half hour to visit with my BIL, Brian, and his girlfriend. My time spent with them put a huge smile on my face and warmed my heart.

A little sidenote on our relationship. Brian and I did not get along in the beginning. We were young (15 & 18) and immature when his brother and I started dating. He hated the "C&D" show as he called it. As a couple, his brother and I received a lot of attention and I blame a lot of that on WP. Not to mention, I was the outgoing, always talking, bubble of energy passing through their family. Although we definitely did not mean to, we made each other's lives miserable from time to time.

Well, we are older and wiser now. On the day of his grandfather's funeral nearly a month ago, I was curling my hair in the rather large "kid's bathroom" upstairs. Brian walked by and said, "Oh I can wait until you're done". I said nonsense, we have two large sinks and a huge mirror. So while Brian shaved, I curled my hair. We began talking about anything and everything for a good 15 minutes.

Then out of the corner of my eye, I noticed his mom and girlfriend standing in the doorway smiling at us. I have no idea how long they stood there, but we asked, why the stares? His mother smiled (on the day she was burying her dad) and said "You two have come so far, it just warms my heart". I of course made the jab, "Well Brian now knows he's stuck with me" and Brian laughed and jabbed back, "I am stuck with her, not by choice".

Flashforward to this weekend, Brian and his girlfriend made my birthday so special. They took me out for lobster, good wine, and an amazing dessert (my typical special date with the love of my life). He even ran out on Sunday morning to buy my favorite cream for my coffee and was the first person to wish me Happy Birthday that morning.

I love my relationship with him. I could have not said that a few years back, but I love that he is my family.




2 comments:

Stacie said...

Great story!! :-)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Aw, that's so great! I'm glad that you two have become such good friends.