Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Article

I love the Yahoo buzz stories and usually at the end of the day, we'll lay in bed reading through some of the articles that interest us.

We found one yesterday in USA Today about the "correct" age for marriage. It was interesting and agreed with "the older the better".

Article

Now I don't necessarily agree with it. My sister was engaged by 21 and married by 22. I would hope her marriage would last forever. The article made an excellent point that:

Older marriages (30s vs. 20s) were more cohesive in the sense they did things more often together as a couple

I don't think that point has anything to do with age, just maturity. A very smart woman on her 4th marriage once told me that you learn after awhile you just have to marry your best friend.

We are not waiting to be older or wiser and I actually am fond of those who marry young and make it last.

However, I will admit that the divorce rate in this country scares me.

2 comments:

d.a.r. said...

I think, as long as you are mature, know what you are getting into, marry your best friend, and have no delusions of a fairy tale, you can make a marriage work :)

Erin said...

That is really interesting! Speaking as someone who got married at 21, I agree that it is not about age, it is about maturity and not just picking someone you are in love with, but someone who is your best friend!