Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Big Picture

My whole life, some great influences told me to just look at the big picture.

And you know what I say to that now...No thank you.

There are times during the day where my mind wanders to the concept of ONE ENTIRE YEAR without him. I am sure time flies, but not if I take it 12 months at a time. I immediately stop my mind from going there and remind myself to take just today head on. So today went well.

Pros:
Created and addressed all my Christmas cards
Micro-chipped my babies
Michelle won the Biggest Loser
Eliminated a few more things from my very long checklist

Cons:
I am fighting this terrible cold and I am losing!

Our former roommate's girlfriend, Sarah, had her deployment day pushed back almost 4 days. Her family left and I immediately offered to take her whatever the time. She stayed with me last night. I enjoyed her company without a doubt. Well her flight kept getting pushed back and now she leaves tomorrow morning and has to sleep at the hangar. I couldn't even go get her and bring her back here in a nice comfortable bed.

Glass half-full moment: Thank goodness I did not go through this with him. One good-bye was good enough.

Droping her off this afternoon, the same drive and parking lot where I took the love of my life, did not have the same emotions on me (go figure). I am almost glad I drove her because I went back to the scene of the crime with no knots in my stomach.

And finally, some of you asked for my top secret recipe for the butter pecan cupcakes. And now I reveal it with great pride:

Come on, I need another 12 months before I start attempting things from scratch. But boy do these taste good.

4 comments:

d.a.r. said...

You are an absolutely amazing person and wonderful friend. How lucky she was to have a place to stay and someone familiar to drive her to deploy. I took my friend's husband the weekend after Z left, and it was harder dropping him off than it was dropping Z off!! I think because Z was on ADVON and there was no one there, I didn't have to see the crying families and whatnot.

Hang in there, I hope your cold goes away soon!

Erin said...

I am sure that she appreciated your kindness and company SO much!

You are very right...you cannot look at the deployment in terms of the whole 12 months. As soon as you go there, time just stops. If you take it day by day, and week by week, it goes a lot faster!

Hope you are feeling better soon!

CLR said...

Ah I so probably got you sick. I'm sorry! I agree, don't look at the big picture. I was so productive the past few days as well, anything to keep my mind busy. When we get back in town, lets have a movie night!

jlc said...

Hahah!! That is soo me. Tonight I made Pillsbury brownies. I'll leave the pies from scratch for my husband.