Thursday, December 25, 2008

Tradition

I am half way through our first Christmas apart in 9 years...

Tonight I definitely missed the butterflies from him pulling into my driveway every year and trying to rush me out the door to make our annual Chinese dinner with his grandparents and parents. We always dressed up so nicely and I couldn't wait for him to see me all dressed up and I couldn't wait to see him!

No Chinese dinner this year. He is gone and his grandfather is sick.

I missed sitting next to him on the couch as we plowed through our gifts from my parents. I miss him analayzing every one of my gifts and attempting to put it together, before he even finishes unwrapping all of his.

This year, my little brother's first girlfriend joined us.

Christmas morning at his house has been my ultimate favorite where we spend hours opening gifts and laughing at anything and everything.

This year because both of his siblings have serious relationships and must attempt the daunting task of splitting time, everyone must be on the road early tomorrow morning, we opened gifts tonight.

Before all of the festivities, I came close to throwing myself a pity party, before I realized some traditions fade, but I should enjoy the ones that stay.

My mom, sister, and I went for our annual mani and pedi on Christmas Eve and just gossiped about all the good stuff happening in our and everyone elses lives.

I made it half-way through my first Christmas without him in 9 years because of my crazy family, his sweet, funny family, and my beautiful puppies.

I know some traditions will go away, but as cliche as it may sound, the love in my family room and his living room tonight will never, ever fade.

6 comments:

CIP said...

Awww, girl. It's true: traditions do change, and to cherish the remaining ones is a great way to get through the holiday! Your being so strong- keep it up! <3

J.L.S. said...

I admire you so much. I can't imagine how I would be holding up right now if Scott had just left a couple of weeks ago. You are half way through! I am also dealing with changing traditions this year. They started changing last year, but Scott was home for our first Christmas together and he was a wonderful distraction! This year, the full extent of the changing traditions hit me, and I'm not going to lie, it was a little sad. But new ones will form in their place and I'm sure they will be just as good! Keep your chin up and Merry Christmas!

jlc said...

Merry Christmas!!! I'm so proud of you.

Erin said...

You are doing amazing with everything being different and him having just left a couple weeks ago! I hope your Holiday is still wonderful an I am glad you have your family to spend it with!

Sara said...

If my husband had left just a week or two before christmas, I think I would have been pretty upset. I luckily had about a month and a half to get used to the separation. That and christmas is really really busy in our home. Happy holidays. You're doing wonderfully and are still positive when no one expects you to be. Hope the family time is helping.

Becca said...

Glad you enjoyed your day! Merry Christmas!!