Saturday, December 27, 2008

Marley & Me

So as Dakota curled up in my lap on the couch as she does every night, I finished the final pages of Marley & Me, of course with tears in my eyes.

It was an easy read and call me crazy, I pictured the characters in this story looking somewhat like Owen Wilson and Jennifer Anniston. Now, I can finally go see the movie. I loved the book and felt he truly wrote down what every dog owner feels. Someone I know read the book and did not like it. I could not help but tie it to the fact she never owned a dog.

I find it funny before I decided to even finish the book on this Saturday night, I wanted to write about Dakota and Daisy due to a question my brother brought up on Christmas Eve.

"If you HAD to give up one of them, which one would you give up?". I finally understood my mom, when faced with a difficult decision, would say, "It's like picking a favorite child".

I told him without hesitation, neither one. And he replied with exaggeration on the word, "HAD" and again, I said no thanks.

I love how Dakota curls up with me every night no matter where I lay or her fierce bark when she feels our environment might be threatened. I love how Daisy can honestly lick your hand, face, leg, whatever, for hours straight or how she sleeps on her back with all four paws in the air. Is that comfortable?

Sure, Dakota sometimes annoys me with how much she wants to cuddle where she bats my hand when I try to type or read and Daisy really does live in her own world from time to time, but the good definitely out weighs the bad. And not to mention, they might be two of the biggest reasons I thrive during deployment.

Attempting to keep up with my book club idea, I found a list of questions online. Three really intrigued me to think and at last, type away....

Is the story of "life and love" primarily between John and his dog, or was Marley just a sidekick in a story about John and his family? Were you surprised by how much non-dog related content the book contained? Did you enjoy the parts about John's family or did you wish he would just get on to another dog story?

I really felt if Grogan slipped away from the Marley theme, even for one chapter, the story would be lost. Do not get me wrong, I know the man loved his family more than anything, but he wanted to portray his love for the "World's Worst Dog".

Is this only a book for pet lovers or would people without pets like it too?

This question stumps me. Any non-dogowner out there who absolutely loved this book? I guess those I spoke with, who do not own a dog, really did not get the book hype.

Why do you think Marley & Me topped the bestsellers list after it was released?

Oh, how easy! John Grogan only reinforces crazy dog owners, like myself, really do exist :)



Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I just stumbled across your blog from a fellow "army wife." This post caught my eye because i am a siberian husky owner as well and your daisy reminds me a lot of my Blaze! So cute!

Yay for dog lovers!