Monday, January 19, 2009

Avoid

Today it finally clicked in my head, I am right smack in the middle of a deployment. I heard a few times, "You seem to be handling yourself very well".

My secret: AVOIDANCE

I avoid letting my feelings get away from me. I avoid the concept of going through another winter, spring, summer, and fall before I even get remotely close to him coming home. I avoid day dreams of curling up next to him and watching our favorite television shows together.

One day at a time...However, I cannot and will not avoid how unbelievably lucky I am. And all this time away will be worth it when I get to see him again.

On a different topic, I attempted to read three different books in the past week and threw them all back onto the shelves. I really love reading. I enjoy how it takes me away from reality. I read a lot while visiting different people with him during block leave. Everyone continued to ask the same questions, so I would hide away in a book and felt so much better about everything.

3 comments:

CLR said...

avoidance, denial.... both major words in my life right now. some may say it's not the best tactic, but i say it's the most effective :)

Anonymous said...

Courtney, I love your positive attitude! That is what will get you through this deployment. I suppose I am jaded because I have been dealing with them since the early 90s. It does my heart good to know someone so young is looking at the positives in life rather than chosing to be miserable and negative during this time. It does our men no good for them to think we aren't coping well at home. Their job is very stressful and worrying about us more than normal isn't something they need.(not to say we don't have stress while they are gone)

Hang in there sweet girl and call on Destiny and me whenever you feel you need us!

d.a.r. said...

Denial and avoidance got me through the first 8 weeks of our deployment :) Then reality set in, as did Murphy's Law. I am back into denial (or at least avoidance) and it seems to be working best for me. Honestly, he doesn't need to hear my bitch and whine, and it doesn't make it any easier for me to be upset about it. So I am just trying to stay busy and do things that make me happy. Like CLR, it is the most effective way :)